Skip to main content

Day 0 - Impetus

Hi everyone, I'm glad to finally get this blog going. The main reason why I wanted to do this is because I have an ever increasing conviction that the Word (i.e. The Holy Scriptures) is central to life itself. One neurologist believes that ninety five percent of what we act out stems from thought patterns stored in our deep subconscious mind. Furthermore, most of these patterns are solidified in the first five or six years of life. As Christians and non-Christians alike, we have found ourselves controlled or guided by these paradigms for better or for worse. Some of us want God to fill us more. Some of us just want change. But what or who can actually change us? I personally believe that the Word has the power to literally change our deep-seated motivations and desires. So it is with this hope that I aim to think critically, humbly and prayerfully about the Word each day. I hope that you will join me on this journey. My prayer is that together, we will explore God's word and discuss it in an honest, respectful and thoughtful manner.

I chose the theme of "encounter" because I wanted to continue where the conference left off. Some of us have encountered, for the first time, or re-encountered the living God. For me, I came to know the Father's heart for all people, including me, in a deeper way through the conference. In order to continue in this encounter though, I realize that I need to come to God consistently each day. So then, a daily, faithful encounter seems like a good starting point.

Comments

  1. I agree! I hope that we may all have a daily encounter with Christ and be rooted in Him. May Encountering God become a lifestyle and not just an event.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4 - Genesis 10 and 11

Towering Pride groundlessly proud baby The construction of the tower of Babel is a story of epic proportions. One would figure that after the flood, man would have settled down a bit (after all the score was like God +infinity Humankind -infinity). But no, every inclination of man's heart has to be all evil even from childhood. As soon as man figures out a bit of technology, he becomes groundlessly proud. Apparently, the people who settled Babylonia developed a new method of constructing buildings. They discovered that brick laying with mortar was much more effective than laying plain old stones on top of each other (eureka). With this huge discovery, they thought to themselves, 'we're not far off from figuring this whole universe thing out. Look out Higgs boson, we're gonna find you soon.' We see that they weren't just interested in building more godless societies. But additionally, they wanted to make a tower that would reach to the heavens (outer spac...

Day 7 - Genesis 18-19

Sarah, Smile There's a song by the 80's band Hall & Oates about a woman named Sarah who needed to smile. I like this song, so I posted it here. Sarah from the Bible had a hard time believing that God could help her conceive. She was probably still bitter about the whole ordeal with Hagar. And at this point, would God really give her a child and use her in his redemptive history? Well, God visits her to answer this question. In what some take as a pre-figuration of Christ, he along with two of his angels visits Abraham's residence. They are given a choice meal and then God begins to speak with Abraham. He confirms his covenant with him stating that surely he will give him a child by the next year. Abraham believes, but Sarah sarcastically laughs thinking that it's a preposterous and perhaps grandiose offer. But God retorts, "Is anything too hard for the LORD?" Of course, this would be hard for anyone to believe, but this is God, Creator of the heav...

February 11 and 12

Balaam's Prophesies and Foreshadows of Jesus Numbers 24 has one of the most amazing and awe-inspiring prophecies in the Old Testament. God essentially takes an idol-worshiping sorcerer, and reveals the coming of the Messiah through him. He says in his fourth prophecy:   17 “I see him, but not now;    I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob;    a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the foreheads of Moab,    the skulls [ b ] of [ c ] all the people of Sheth. [ d ] 18 Edom will be conquered;    Seir, his enemy, will be conquered,    but Israel will grow strong. 19 A ruler will come out of Jacob    and destroy the survivors of the city.”  To some, this may seem like a long shot. But the evidence is there to support the claim that he is talking about Christ. It is traditionally held that the Magi in the second chapter of Matthew's gospel account, rega...